Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Song, Old Story

Almost a year ago, I started this blog as a way to chronicle my own march upcountry- making the arduous transition from New Orleans, land of the three-PM cocktail, to Boston, Hometown of the Protestant Work Ethic.

While there were trials and travails certainly worth mentioning (I was homeless. For like, a week), and getting a chance to air out my homesickness meant that my friends were given the briefest respite from my constant kvetching ("You know, in New Orleans, nobody cares if you drink by yourself at a bar. Here they all look at you funny."), the admittedly tired "Gee, things are different up North" angle really served as an exercise is writing consistently. Something I had tried before, and failed miserably, but dammit, this would be different.

It wasn't.

Well, to a certain extent. If anything, I've been doing a hell of a lot of writing, just not in the one place I designated as a place I would do writing. Sort of like that one time I vomited all around my sink. Pretty much exactly like that, actually.

I did some thinking while I was hungover on a bus, which is where I get my best thinking done, and I came to the conclusion that I would reboot this sucker, and ditch the whole "They call Circle-K 'CVS' 'round these parts!" angle for a simple collection of poetry and familiar essays that I've written, and will hopefully continue to write during my stay in the "insipid dryness" of Beantown.

Really, I just couldn't part with the domain name. That's a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment